Thursday, September 23, 2010

Granny's Slice










My Granny gave me my red hair and my love of knitting, but as far as I can remember, she wasn't a great cook. She did, however, have a couple of things in her repertoire that we always looked forward to. One was her tomato chutney. Another was her french onion dip. And then there was her chocolate caramel slice. Unfortunately, no-one thought to get these recipes off her, and in the houseful of possessions she left behind, no lovingly hand-penned notebook full of culinary secrets was found, so the recipes went with her to the grave. I've baked a few different versions of Granny's slice, and this one by Bill Granger is as close as I've found. The base isn't as dark as Granny's, and I am sure she used copha in her chocolate layer. But as far as flavours go, it's spot-on. In her waning years, long after my sisters and I had barged in and taken charge of Christmas and all its trimmings, Granny was always asked to bring her slice. There was rarely any left on Boxing Day. So it's become a tradition to bake Granny's slice, or some variation on it, at Christmas time.

Last Friday, I found a tin of condensed milk in the back of the pantry, and when the three o'clock sweetie cravings hit, I decided to get baking. When they hit again yesterday, I thought I'd try out a new recipe. But instead I baked Granny's slice again. For tradition's sake.

2 comments:

  1. yum need that recipe please. That is one of my all time favourite slices. How aussie is a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greery Darling.
    Love your blog, brings you closer,and yes you are right Mums(Grannys)slice did have copha in the icing.How do I know?I have her recipe book,with 3! slice recipes in it.I think she started the collection later in her life as it is quiet sparse, in hand written favourites and plenty of recipes cut out from magazines etc.I am sending them to you as I feel it is approriate that you should carry these recipes on for future generations.There is a catch(isnt there always) you share the recipe and you make your Unc some.
    Love you Unc xxx
    PS your blog is sooo professional

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...