Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Pearl for my Pearl







When I first saw the Pearl Shrug in this book of lovely vintage baby patterns, I wasn't very taken by it. Perhaps it was the pale pink in the picture, but it seemed a bit flowery and fluffy and not really my cuppa. Last week, though, thinking I'd like to knit my girls a mama-made cardigan each for their impending christening, I revisited the book and decided to try it out. With a name like the Pearl Shrug, really, how could I resist?

It is actually a very cool pattern with really unique construction. First you knit the pedestal shaped thingy for the back. Then you go all circular, knitting donut-shaped arm holes onto the back. Then there's a big openwork band that runs all the way around. The sleeves are meant to be more of that openwork, but I decided to cheat a bit and picked up stitches around each armhole and made simple little garter stitch bands instead.

The yarn is some lovely Evoke hand-dyed sock wool I purchased on a whim last year. It's been languishing in the stash, and, as expected, it was never meant to become a pair of socks. I'm scared of socks. Or, at least, I'm scared of starting to knit socks in case it becomes an obsession. I've heard it's a common disease.

Ravelry notes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...