Friday, February 15, 2013

You Say Pissaladiere...


Is it right to call something something even if it's not exactly the something, but takes that lovely something as its inspiration? This is definitely not a pizza. In fact, it's really just a tart. And a pissaladiere is also just a tart. A tart at heart. With no tomato sauce or cheese in sight, it's more tart than pizza. But they put tandoori chicken on pizzas these days, so...

A traditional Provencal pissaladiere is topped with caramelised onions and decoratively placed anchovies and olives. I used the onions, but added sauted mushrooms and goats cheese.


I've seen a lot of pissaladiere recipes that use puff pastry, but I think it's meant to be a bread or pizza dough. This is an olive oil shortcrust - the first time I've made one - and I was delighted with how beautifully it handled and tasted. I also liked how virtuous I felt to skip the butter.

I love caramelised onions. Making this recipe reinvigorated my love for them, slow-cooked in a little oil over the lowest temperature, helped along towards the end with a dash of balsamic and a sprinkling of brown sugar. I made them again a week later, adding some to a frittata and turning the rest into onion soup. 

French onion soup, perhaps? Perhaps no more French than this pissaladiere. But entirely delicious and entirely worth making for lunch this weekend.


You can find my recipe for this tart here.

12 comments:

  1. Oh that looks so scrumptious Greer! I made a something something pizza tonight using a large field mushroom as the base..it was so good that I can't wait to make it again :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I'm definitely adding this one to my menu plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drooling, love mushrooms and goats cheese. I've got a chocolate cake in the oven (it's 7.30am!) and am baking bread this weekend. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious, I'm sure! Now I know what to make for dinner. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I make a version of this with puff pastry, will have to give this one a whirl too. Want one now! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ages ago (I was eight, now I'm 24) I went to France and we stayed in a tiny village called pesselieres - similar rhythm to pissaladiere. French onion soup is delicious - I'm always amazed at the taste that comes out of onions! will have to make this soon x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another one of your recipes added to my favourites list! You take such lovely photos of food - mine always seem to turn out looking like excrement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so tired I can't even read words tonight but I just have to write some.
    Your photos are divine! Delicious!
    I'm hungry again. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, heaven...I do love your food posts. Call it what you like, it looks amazing.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmn... It's not a far cry from a pissaladiere, but with no anchovies involved, then it misses the mark. Why not just call it a goats cheese and mushroom with caramilised onion tart?  

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...