Monday, March 4, 2013

Homemade Tomato Sauce

 





  

Yesterday I stumbled across half a box of tomatoes in the office. I'd shoved it there right before the party (I'd made slow-roasted tomato soup which didn't get served) and forgotten about it. Pizza was on the menu for dinner, so I decided to make some sauce from scratch. Stephanie's recipe is always delicious. Nestle tomatoes, sliced onions and garlic together in a roasting pan, or two. Drizzle with lots and lots of lovely olive oil, then season well. Roast at 180 degrees for about an hour, till the juices are flowing. Then turn it into sauce.

I use the dowhatsamajiggy that I requested for Christmas one year, certain it was an essential addition to the kitchen. It does a fine job of pureeing the tomatoes and separating out the skins, which a food processor or blender wouldn't do. I think you could blend it then pass it through a sieve for a similar result.

This afternoon, 4:30 rolled around and I hadn't given dinner a thought. Someone said pasta, so pasta it was, with fresh tomato sauce, grated zucchini, tinned tuna and mozzarella cheese.  No complaints.




If I'd had any luck with my home-grown tomatoes this year, I'd be making these delicious morsels, and quick! Perhaps I'll have a go with bought ones anyway.

This is the sort of tomato growing I'm talking about! Incredible.

I'd be pretty happy eating this tomato salad right now. Or this tart! Oh, how I love a good tart.


16 comments:

  1. YUM!!! I can almost taste that sauce.
    I am so totally tomato obsessed at the moment.
    I'm making lists in my head of all the dishes I want to make while they are still around. And my windy, separatey thing is getting a good work out too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I'm grating zucchini into everything at the moment. Sneaky, sneaky! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a student at Uni at the moment & living with my boyfriend, we're always looking (well I, I do the cooking haha) for recipes, this would be great & so versatile. I know he'd be dipping doritos in it! Thanks for sharing,

    Harri

    at-rubik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Greer! What a surprise... You've made my day :) I do miss my tomatoes but we've only just planted a whole stash of other seeds. We're even working on extending our little garden so that we can really live in a backyard jungle! Don't you just love Stephanie's book!

    Sophie xo

    P.S. Will have to try that sauce... Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sauce looks great...but I think if I took a pan of roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic out of the oven, none of them would make it into the sauce!

    And we do a LOT of grated zucchini over these parts...sadly I have to sneak veggies into everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a mouli right?! Oh it looks delicious I remember tomato bottling days with my nonna & nonno when I was little .....nothing like a jar of homemade passata xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dried some tomatoes like that last summer, the house smelled so fantastic.
    Unfortunately, I didn't pack them in oil, but forgot about them completely in the refrigerator.
    This summer I'll be more on the ball about that.
    Your sauce sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the thought of all those tomatoes has injected a taste of summer into my winter day. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good and so easy too! I must try it sometime! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delish. My tomato sauces tend to be either too acidic or too sweet! It's a tricky balancing act ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am waiting for the one lonely tomato to have fruited in our garden to ripen. I will have to buy some today I think, so I can give this a go. Looks delish. I also have a mouli, which turned out to be kind of useless for baby food. Thanks for the recipe! :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will definitely be adding this recipe to my book... and canning it for later, too? Perfection x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sauce looks so good. I love cooking like that - quick, easy, batch cooking that tastes amazing and is versatile too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, what a great idea. I used my tomatoes for relish. Don't you just love homemade sauce, we love ours on pizza. I bet you felt proud after your effort. H x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummo - looks delicious! Sadly our tomatoes were not to be this year either. But pasta with tuna and chefs is one of my weekly staples, as requested but he kids :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...